Come Up With A Cool jQuery Plug-In Idea and I'll Try To Make It
I was thinking the other night of writing a new jQuery plug-in and I was tossing around a few ideas of what to create. Then I started thinking... instead of making something I wanted, maybe I should let you guys tell me what you want. I know, weird, huh. But seriously, I think it might be kind of cool to see what the jQuery community is craving for. Most of my plug-ins focus on the problems I encounter on my client sites and to be honest, they can be a tad bit utilitarian. So if you have a great idea for a plug-in, lets hear it.
How It Works
I think we should lay down a few ground rules first.
- I don't think we need to recreate the wheel. If there's already a plug-in out there that does what your asking, then I won't do it. Lets be original folks.
- I don't think this should be a monster of a plug-in that's overly complicated. Lets try to come up with simple, elegant ideas.
- I'll let the community vote on the ideas in the comments, but ultimately I'm going to decide what I work on. Hopefully, if something doesn't get chosen, then this can be a great resource for other developers to get some ideas.
- I'm not going to setup an official "end of submission" date. We'll see what kind of community feedback we start getting and leave it up to everyone to decide what should be worked on and when we're ready to go.
- Whatever gets developed is completely open sourced and available to the community to download. Most of my plug-ins are MIT licensed and I think this should be the same.
- This is not a CONTEST. NO PRIZES WILL BE GIVEN!!! What you will get is accolades from the community and I think we will attach your name as the originator of the plug-in in the source code!
- And finally, my client work takes precedent. So if I say I'll have it done by a certain time and don't. Then don't hate, I'm probably working on something that pays the bills.
I think that covers all the bases. If you think I missed something let me know. If not, then what are you waiting for. Start posting your ideas below and lets get started!